Monday 26 December 2011

Dubai - Day 8 Reflections


Having spent about a week here in Dubai, all I can say is that I'm hooked. This place is crazy, glitzy, glam and materialistic beyond anyone’s wildest dreams; but also such a fascinating melting pot of people from all over!
Located where Europe, Asia and Africa meet and with such a mix of nationalities and people from different cultures, it can only turn into an exciting and exhilarating place!

Every visitor here gets treated like a VIP. That's not just us and not just because it's Christmas time, but always. And I have a feeling ALL visitors respond to that treatment by spending like VIPs too! With a myriad shopping malls, a dizzying array of dining options and hip clubs and bars, it’s all just too easy!

These last few days I do hope I will get the chance to surpass the somewhat ostentatious nature of Dubai though and get under the surface to see the other Dubai.
I would like to get down by the Dubai Creek and watch the dhow (= traditional wooden boat) traffic and walk the streets of the Bastakia area, visit the Heritage Village and learn a bit more about the Emiratis and this epic place.

No comments: