Sunday 4 May 2008

Please and Thank You

Granddad tried (more or less) in vain to get Lucas to say 'please' and 'thank you' in all the right places, during our stay in Oz.
I must admit that every now and then he gets it right, but mostly he is not that good at being verbally polite.

My theory is that it's a language thing. We don't have 'please' in the Swedish language, not as a special word. We word our sentences differently when we want to be polite, and we don't use 'thank you' in quite the same extent either.
I think, that he kind of "says it in Swedish, but in English" - if you know what I mean? I believe, that when he gets a better feeling of what is the difference between English and Swedish sentence structure, it will come automatically.

But today, while discussing this, Nathan turned around to him and said:
- You know your 'please' and 'thank you', don't you Lucas?

And the answer he got was:
- Yes Dad!! I say 'please' to Thomas, and I say 'thank you' to Thomas!

At least he has got his priorities right! (Thomas is his Lego-supplier...)

No comments: