Wednesday 4 June 2008

Morning toast

It's funny how your culinary habits change with which country you live in. In Sweden I always used to have orange marmalade (and sometimes cheese on top of that) on my toast. While we were in the UK, I started to eat peanutbutter toast and now I have learned to eat kaya toast!

Kaya is a jam made from coconut milk and eggs, it's flavored by pandan leaf and sweetened with sugar. It originally originated out here in Southeast Asia but I'm sure you can find it even back home in special Asian stores.

I'm a big fan. I find it tastes a bit like marzipan! It's sweet and creamy. I tend to stick to the green version, but it comes in brown as well. The colour varies depending on how much pandan they use. (Unfortunately the picture doesn't show how green it actually is. It really green!)
One of these days, I'm going to have the amah bake some buns and put kaya in them instead of cinnamon and sugar. That must be yum!

1 comment:

Dogeared said...

Wait - I can just get on board with marmalade (though I'm not much of a jam and toast person any more, I did have a phase of eating it a lot). But cheese on top of marmalade?!?

That just doesn't compute ;-)

But mmm, marzipan-flavour!