Friday 20 December 2013

Sankta Lucia

Friday was Lucia day, an important day to any Swede during the Christmas preparations. Unfortunately my children don't have a big connection to this day, despite my many attempts at making sure we celebrate it, one way or another. (See here when we saw a real Lucia procession while in Sweden; here when we watched it on TV; here when we celebrated in NZ, and here, how it usually goes f.e.)

I suddenly thought, that in Dubai with such a big Swedish community, there must be a Lucia celebration somewhere. So I started to google, and yes, there was!! In the Norwegian Seamen Church!


So Anne and I packed all the kids into a big taxi and off we went. She had never been there either, so it was a bit of an adventure.


We arrived just in time and was lucky to get some seats. There were a bit on the side, but we could at least hear just fine. The procession was made up of both children and adults, and it was very pretty.


The church was filled to the brim with Scandinavians, mostly Swedes. Our two big ones weren't that impressed though:


The girls were more into it, and seemed to enjoy it, although they don't have the same feelings about it as I do of course. At least Anne and I enjoyed it a lot. It was very beautiful.




 

 Afterward there was a big line to the lussebullar, pepparkakor and glögg. Mmm!


No comments: